| Subscribe via RSS

Bad Snail Mail, Bad!

It seems like generally a good idea to limit the amount of snail mail you get that has sensitive information on it (social security number, bank account, etc), right? I called my bank today to ask them to stop mailing me copies of my bank statements. I don't like snail mail in general and with all this identity theft and such, paper bank statements are just begging to be stolen.

My bank said no because apparently, Washington State has a law where banks have to send you a monthly paper statement. You'd think that with Seattle as a center of technology, Washington State would understand that paper bank statements are bad. But no no - it's law that I have to receive a nice little envelope every month with my bank written in large lettering so that would-be identify theives will know just where to look. What's up with that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's odd - my bank allows you to stop paper statements...

Julenka said...

I know that with Washington Mutual you can set up an "Online Account" which not only doesn't give you paper statements, but also gives you a good interest rate.

James Mortensen said...

Interesting point of view. I always thought that the Internet is where identity theft was most likely to occur. Perhaps I am wrong in this line of thinking?

The type of thief who uses the Internet doesn't have to go through our dumpsters and get dirty. Of course, this type of thief does have to have some form of technical aptitude.